Friday, July 24, 2009

Are Dachshunds hard to Potty Train?

Well I think the answer is YES and NO.

OK, so who am I - well of course I own little Dachshund Luke and remember how he was a touch stubborn as a puppy. At first I thought that perhaps I had a slow puppy, little did I know that I just had a hard headed one. He would happily go outside and walk around the garden sniffing everything, however he did not seem to remember that he was supposed to go potty out there too! I had to constantly remind him - and still do even though he is now 8 years old.

Then I started to volunteer with Dachshund Rescue and taking Dachshund's into my home until they were adopted. One of our jobs as a "foster home" was to try and get these sweet Dachshunds to be socialized and adoptable. The number one priority was for them to be house trained. After all people were not as likely to adopt an older Dachshund that is still peeing in the house.

I was very surprised about how many of these rescue dogs had been abandoned to shelters or worse the streets because their owners were unable to potty train them. It is very sad. All of the dogs left my home fully potty trained, if only their owners were correctly informed on how to potty train a Dachshund they might still be with them.

If you are having trouble potty training your Dachshund then please take the time to learn about Dachshunds and the best way to train them.

Here are some links to get your going:

Potty Train An Older Dachshund
Dachshund Training
How To Potty Train A Dachshund Puppy
Dachshund peeing in the house

No comments:

Post a Comment